[Zope3-dev] Launchpad offer (Was: "Core" topic in Collector)

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sun Dec 17 06:46:21 EST 2006

Hi Steve,

Steve Alexander wrote:
> I hereby offer the services of a member of the Launchpad team at
> Canonical to write Collector code if necessary in order to get an export
> of bugs from the Collector in a format that can be imported into
> Launchpad, to import said bugs into a demonstration server of Launchpad
> so we can check that the data conversion is good enough, and to do an
> actual import into the Launchpad production database, and to do this
> during January 2007.

This is a very generous offer! It meets my wish of not loosing collector
data and Jim said he'd be happy just using launchpad.

> There are a few Launchpad developers in the Zope developer community, so
> I think there's a good communication channel there.  Nonetheless, I
> would also like to offer the Zope Foundation Board phone and online
> access to the Canonical 24/7 support office for getting a quick response
> on any critical issues that are affecting use of Launchpad, while the
> Zope project is using Launchpad as its bug tracker.

Yay! I guess that would be done by our single point of contact, right?

> I'd appreciate a decision on this offer before Christmas, and preferably
> sooner, so I can schedule the time before I leave on vacation.

This means we'll have to find a decision within the next week.

I'm +1 on this in general.

One question popped up for me:

  Are we talking about the Zope 3 collector or all collectors on
  zope.org?

  Launchpad seems to give us even more benefit if we switched all
  collectors over, because we would get the upstream management
  capability. However, this is the zope3-dev list and I'm not sure we
  could decide this for Zope 2 and ZODB.

  OTOH we could make a first step by switching with Zope 3 and let
  everybody else join us in the mid-/longterm.

  I can also imagine that extending the discussion to CMF, Zope 2 and
  the ZODB right now would render us inable to get to a decision within
  the next days.

  My own conclusion on this is therefore that we should talk about the
  Zope 3 collector only.

Christian