[Zope3-dev] Re: Need to get more involved in Web SIG (was Re: Fixing ZServer bugs?)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Dec 19 11:54:34 EST 2006

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 11:22, Christian Theune wrote:
>> Another question: How does the WSGI integration relate to HTTP-based
>> servers (like WebDAV and XMLRPC) and how does it relate to
>> non-HTTP-based servers?
>
> All HTTP-based servers are covered, since our application code makes the
> decision which sub-protocol has been used.

Yup

> The answer for non-HTTP servers is not that simple. One of the reasons we
> chose twisted was for the FTP support, which was rewritten so that we could
> use Twisted in Zope 3.

I think that any decision to support FTP should be separated from the
decision about what HTTP server to use.

I made a mistake several years ago when I decided to (have Amos)
implement FTP over ZPublisher. The Zope publisher is a CGI-inspired
HTTP-based and thus stateless API. It is a poor fit for FTP and I
overgeneralized.

I don't know what the current Zope 3 FTP integration is like.  If I were
do do this today, I would design a Python-based FTP server with hooks
that one could deploy on top of a ZODB app.  Then if I wanted an FTP server
as well as an HTTP server, I would simply use separate processes.