[Zope3-dev] Re: Need to get more involved in Web SIG (was Re: Fixing ZServer bugs?)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Dec 19 12:05:42 EST 2006

Chris Withers wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> We have performance and reliability expectations which come from running
>>> mission-critical applications.  Lots of the rest of the folks interested
>>> in servers don't have those requirements (yet, anyway), and hence aren't
>>> motivated to address them in their externally-maintained server
>>> implmentations.
>>
>> I find it impossible to believe that others don't have such
>> mission-critical requirements.
>
> Maybe they hand off the hard bits too Apache?

Some of them do, I'm sure.

> Could we?

Sure, we already do by often having Apache or squid in front
of Zope.  There is also a mod_python WSGI server implementation.

>> If we find that WSGI is inferior to the Zope 2 server, then I certainly
>> think that abandoning our various Zope 3 efforts is a reasonable
>> alternative, although unattractive, since I'm not aware of anyone
>> actively maintaining the Zope 2 server. I'd much rather
>> leverage a larger effort.
>
> Does the Zope 2 server need that much work? It seems to do a pretty good
> job...

I don't know.  It does seem to do a pretty good job.  But I'm not aware of
any one else who's in a position to fix it if it breaks or needs to be
enhanced.

> What's stopping Zope 3 from using it?

It would take some work to integrate with it.  I'm not sure how much.
Of course, someone could make it a WSGI server.  Otherwise,
one would have to integrate at a lower level.  It might not be that
hard. Or it might be.  I'd still rather leverage someone else's technology.