[Zope3-dev] Cleaning up the widget mess a little bit: bug or feature

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Wed Dec 20 06:35:18 EST 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 2:34 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Gary Poster wrote:
>> I don't have a very strong feeling about it, but lean towards "bug
>> fix".  It didn't break any of our code (or at least any of our
>> tests :-) ) so it seems safe from my perspective.
>
> I was trying to apply the patch to the 3.3 branch and noticed that the
> patch isn't compatible, as it requires a restructuring that
> happened on
> the trunk a while ago. This refactoring (r70331) introduces a very
> small
> feature, but the broken behaviour (trying to put anything into
> _toFormValue) exists in the old variant as well.

It's a bit murky, since 70331 only changes internal APIs, but
unfortunately the widget subclass API is effectively public in IMO.
I don't think 70331 is ok to push back, unfortunately.  A shame, but
then the easiest thing to do is treat 71548 as a feature too; the
other option would be to revise the fix in 71548 for pre-70331.

Gary