[Zope3-dev] Re: Need to get more involved in Web SIG (was Re: Fixing ZServer bugs?)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Dec 20 16:48:03 EST 2006

Jim Fulton wrote at 2006-12-19 17:27 -0500:
>Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> Jim Fulton wrote at 2006-12-19 11:54 -0500:
>>> I made a mistake several years ago when I decided to (have Amos)
>>> implement FTP over ZPublisher. The Zope publisher is a CGI-inspired
>>> HTTP-based and thus stateless API. It is a poor fit for FTP and I
>>> overgeneralized.
>>
>> Why do you think so?
>
>Because FTP is a stateful protocol and HTTP isn't.

Yes, but with a minimal state...

>> I implemented a ZServer based NNTP server over ZPublisher
>> within a few days -- and did not have the feeling that
>> I need to stress ZPublisher.
>
>I don't know anything about NNTP.

It is as stateful as FTP, having a minimal state, too.
>> Instead, I was pleased that I could use authentication, request logging,
>> request profiling, transaction handling, error handling -- all
>> features either in core ZPublisher or added by us.
>
>One could still use and benefit from many of the frameworks in Zope
>without using ZPublisher.

We moved from a ("papercut" based) dedicated NNTP server implemented
as a ZEO client (the type of solution, you currently seem to prefer)
over to a ZServer based NNTP server on top of ZPublisher.
And we were very pleased with the transition: both with respect
to maintenance as with respect to performance....

Yes, we have to maintain a minimal state (for NNTP, this is,
user identity, selected group and selected article) outside
of ZPublisher and provide access to it via request and response.
This is managed within a few dozens lines of code.

--
Dieter