[Zope3-dev] Re: Selecting a code name

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Mon Feb 6 15:04:49 EST 2006

Benji York wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>> Stephan Richter wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, I am giving in on this. There is a three step process that will
>>> have to be fullfilled to assign a codename to the Zope 3.3 release.
>>
>> I'd say assigning a name is a responsibility of the release manager.
>
> As I understand it the "codename idea" wasn't to have a codename per
> release (like Ubuntu), but a name in addition to "Zope 3" to help
> differentiate it from Zope 2.  I'm +0 on the latter and -1 on the former.

That was what I was thinking. It should be a tool to differentiate the
Zope 3 codebase from the Zope 2 codebase.

I think it is very difficult to get the point across that Zope 3 is
significantly different than Zope 2 when the only difference is a major
version number.

It is pretty simple to argue if you know a little about Windows. Some
might think that the different windows names are a stupid idea. A
marketing trick. But I for one remember exactly what differentiates
these versions of Windows.

Windows 1.0 through Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000,
Windows XP

I don't believe that anybody could remember the difference between these
versions if it had merely been version numbers.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science