[Zope3-dev] Nine new ZC Zope 3 packages

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Mon Feb 6 15:05:08 EST 2006

(Apologies to Martijn for the dupe; again, zope.org rejected my
previous mail)

On Feb 6, 2006, at 6:13 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Gary Poster wrote:
> [snip lots of cool stuff]
>
> Great, more stuff to play with! :)
>
> Just saw zope.file; this begs to be combined with hurry.file's
> smart upload feature, where the server retains the file so that
> validation feedback forms work with files.
>

>> ZC has released many other useful standalone projects on zope.org
>> over the past few months, including zope.file, zope.ucol,
>> zope.locking, and zc.catalog.  They all are worth a look.
>>

> What's the thinking about moving some of this into the zope core?
> Additionally, at Infrae we have the hurry package that contains
> some stuff that might be useful to fold into the core (in
> particular hurry.query and hurry.file, combined with zope.file).

Proposals for all of this stuff sound *great* to me.  We didn't
propose it simply because we don't have time.  We didn't want open
sourcing our code to be contingent on having enough time to make the
proposals and do the package rearrangements.

> Is this stuff intended to end up in the zope core eventually?

If desired.  Pretty sure that zope.locking, zope.file (once blob
support is in), and zope.mimetype ought to go in the core.  we have a
zope.html that we'll get out soonish too (based in some TIKS
integration of FCKeditor--thanks Roger!) that we expect to be in the
core.

We're not sure if "in the core" means "in the Zope 3 repo": as I said
in the other message, check with Jim on that.

> If so, what steps will need to be taken?

Someone will need to propose what they want to merge, and reconcile
with Jim what that means in  terms of repo and releases.  We'll help.

> I imagine this also ties into the eggs story, but the question on
> the zope core perhaps still stands - what would be a dependency of
> the zope core?

Did I already answer this?

I'd be happy to have most of zc.catalog go in zope, and maybe some
other parts of the new packages.  It's a combination of what the
community thinks ought to be part of a core release; how that will
affect our packaging story, as you said; and who is going to do the
necessary proposing and knitting.

Gary