[Zope3-dev] Re: Selecting a code name

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Tue Feb 7 14:50:50 EST 2006

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:37:08 -0800, Fred Drake <fdrake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/7/06, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
>> As I said before, I'm +0 on enhancing the brand,
>> -1 on adding release codenames.
>>
>> IMO codenames make it harder, not easier, to talk about releases.
>> Which came first - Cheetah or Puma?  I submit that nobody but
>> a certified mac geek can answer that question without googling it.
>
> I agree with Paul here.  Version relationships are important for
> technical audiences, and names don't help wirth that.  I don't know
> what would help with marketing, but I suspect a general brand would be
> more helpful than version codenames.
>
> The only version codename I'm likely to remember is that for Ubuntu
> 6.04.  :-)

The original discussion never suggested code names for releases, but a
brand name to help Zope 3 separate itself from Zope 2 - since it is a
*completely* different beast.

Code names for releases is only useful inside the team, IMO - unless you
have the marketing power of designing a themed logo for every release
(like Apple did - and it still creates confusion, so they dropped that for
10.4 Tiger - no stripes there, sir).