[Zope3-dev] Re: Automated compatibility tests

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Wed Feb 8 08:45:58 EST 2006

Chris Withers wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>
>>> Or am I the only one seing this as a problem that should be automated?
>>>
>> I think buildbot fills this need very well,
>> like http://buildbot.zope.org/ or http://buildbot.nuxeo.org/
>
> Nah, Max is after something different, and I agree with him that it
> would be great if it could be done automatically, but I suspect it'll
> best be done by hand...
>
> Just 'cos the tests pass doesn't mean it works ;-)

One could imagine that unittests and creative use of testbrowser would
be a big help.

I have product where contacts can be turned into Plone members. In Plone
2.1 a script called "validate_registration" was removed, and so my
product breaks. Now I have people asking what is wrong with with my product.

A problem like that would certainly have been caught by functional tests.

If the aforementioned compatibility list was available they would at
least be able to see the that the current product version is
"officially" incompatible.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/