[Zope3-dev] Hyping Zope3 contest? (was: Selecting a code name)

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Feb 8 18:34:53 EST 2006

Gary Poster wrote:
[snip]
> I think the split-up contest--response 2--that Joel Moxley proposed  on
> the list and others proposed privately to me sounds good.

I'm not really thrilled about that idea. Marketing needs to be a unified
message, and if you split it up you'll likely end up with a hodgepodge.
You also risk everybody doing the easy parts and nobody working on the
parts that cost some energy.

A contest for website ideas (with a bunch of webpages in a layout and
with some good text and graphics) sounds better. It's more likely to
result in one of more visions we can live with. If you're interested in
new names for Zope, logos, and so on, that's fine, as you can present it
in the context of a larger message. Currently I'm not at all convinced
we need an additional name for Zope 3 or work on the logo, but a good
presentation could definitely change my mind.

A mockup of a homepage and a bunch of subpages, together with the
textual part of the marketing message shouldn't be too big a hindrance
to get a few good submissions.

Regards,

Martijn