[Zope3-dev] Hyping Zope3 contest? (was: Selecting a code name)

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 05:50:26 EST 2006

On 2/9/06, Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com> wrote:
> I fear that a split up competition will have a lot of people come up
> with slogans, some with logos, and nobody with a decent tutorial.

Well, that may be true. But on the other hand, if there are people
working on a decent tutorial now, then they will probably have no
competition anyway, and if nobody is working on a tutorial now, or
during a tutorial competition, then we are in trouble anyway.

> Again, I believe that without fixing Zope's web presence all other Zope
> marketing activities are pretty much futile.

Yup.

> I may be wrong about this; if so please give me the reasons I'm missing
> why a slogan or logo in isolation would really help Zope's marketing.

It wouldn't. I guess the idea is to get more people involved in
helping Zope3s marketing. A competition may not be the answer. But
then again, it might. :)

The alternative is to design by comittee, which is what gave us the
current zope.org. That took a very long time, and it seems nobody is
happy with the results...

> * create a boutique site for Zope. No community features, but nice
> presentation and intro text, and download information for Zope.

Yes, this is what we should concentrate on. And maybe we don't need to
compete about everything, but how about making a competition for a
flash-demo? Yes, I want a flash-demo. No, I don't know how to make
one.

> I'm happy to see a competition for a boutique site, and whether people
> present a new zope.org or zope3.org is up to them; this may influence
> whether we end up with a separate zope3.org or an integrated zope.org.

I think we should definitely go for zope3.org, both to separate Zope2
and Zope3 and because zope.org currently is such a vast mess that
replacing it is pretty much out of the question.

If we start to think about replacing it in the future, the way to go
in my opinion is to make many separate microsites with separate aims,
and only one thing in common: logins.

collectors.zope.org
products.zope.org
devwiki.zope.org
news.zope.org
whatever.zope.org
somethingelse.zope.org

This way upgrades in the future can become easier as we can do one
site at a time, instead of necessarily doing all of Zope.org at one
time.

But first, lets concentrate on the "boutique" for Zope3. That's what's
most desperately needed.