[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 web root

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 14:17:39 EST 2006

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> An idea just occurred to me.  I think others have probably had similar
> ideas, but didn't express it in the right place or time.
>
> Part 1: Let's put an Apache-like web root (similar to
> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/) in Zope instance homes.  It might be called
> "browser" or "www".  Zope will serve pages out of that web root rather
> than an object database.

A big -1 from me.
This is yet more complexity and more stuff that Zope shouldn't try to
do. If you want to serve flat files, use Apache.

> served out of the object database.  To change the default page, newbies
> are directed to create a default page in the object database.  The user
> didn't ask for an object database.

But it's one of Zope's main strengths and I'd find it odd if newbies
were directed to do anything other than use it ;-)

> The use of an object database should
> be a choice, not a requirement.

I'd flip that, because I think you and Steve A would agree on one thing:
The use of an object database _should_ be a choice, not a requirement,
but it should also be the default ;-)

So, to sum up, I reckon Zope should use ZODB by default, but it should
be possible, without too much pain, to get it to use _just_ an ORM if
you so desire. Flat files is Apache land, lets not try and compete there ;-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk