[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 web root

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Feb 10 18:30:29 EST 2006

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:40:51 -0000, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org>
wrote:

> An idea just occurred to me.  I think others have probably had similar
> ideas, but didn't express it in the right place or time.

> Part 1: Let's put an Apache-like web root

> Part 2: Let's add some ZCML directives that define how to interpret
> filenames in the web root by their extension.  Let's also interpret
> special per-directory files that map URI names to filenames, similar to
> Apache .htaccess files.

So, I'm serving static content like Apache, I'm interpreting file types
like Apache and I'm using .htaccess files like Apache. But I'm using Zope.

Why am I not just using Apache?
Would I be learning this beast that is Zope?

> Part 3: One kind of file we can put in the web root serves as a gateway
> into an object database.

Or use RewriteRules?

Martin

P.S. I would be more excited if there was a similarly integrated story for
RDBMS.
P.P.S. I think Zope is great in large part because of the ZODB, not in
spite of it
P.P.P.S. I agree that having alternate ways of storing information is
attractive