[Zope3-dev] One namespace for ZCML

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Feb 13 08:27:40 EST 2006

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 2/13/06, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
> > Yet again looking for comments, this time at:
> > http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/OneNamespaceForZCML.
>
> What happens if you want to add your own statements? Should you still
> do that in your own namespace?

No. But I don't think that it'll be much of a problem. I expect that not a lot
of 3rd party packages will need their own set of ZCML directives. I would
certainly not encourage it and I will continue not to document it in my book.
ZCML is a good tool, but only with a certain limited functionality (that was
its intention in the first place!). That includes a somewhat limited set of
directives. I realize "somewhat" is fuzzy. Let me just say that I think ZCML
has failed when Plone will have its own ZCML directives...

> If not, how are we going to make sure we don't get conflicts?

By choosing decent names for the few directives that will be necessary. I know,
it sounds lame, but even *with* namespace you'd need decent names. Or does
anything prevent me in my own package to register a ZCML directive called
browser:viewlet? Nope. So, it doesn't make much of a difference with or w/o
namespaces.

Philipp