[Zope3-dev] Re: Re: Who would use this crazy thing called Zope 3?

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Mon Feb 13 10:15:05 EST 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 9:24 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:39:52 -0000, Lennart Regebro
> <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> There are methods for neatly deprecating things like this, and they
>> have been employed consitently in Zope 3, and quite consistetly in
>> later versions of Zope2. For example,  in Zope 2.8 the whole Zope
>> package was renamed Zope2. The Zope.py backwards compatibility
>> handler
>> will be removed in Zope 2.11.  I'm not aware of this causing any
>> problems.
>
> There are two types of deprecation, though - one is deprecating
> specific packages or methods or classes. Another is deprecating
> fundamental patterns and ways of working. Am I supposed to use ZCML
> for this or Python? Well, a while ago, it was ZCML, now it's
> python, and then maybe it'll be something that looks completely
> different. Now I'm told that the ZODB is the de-facto way of
> storing content. Maybe soon the default may be a filesystem. Mmm...

FWIW, I personally doubt that we would make the filesystem choice for
the vast bulk of ZC's past and future engagements.  I would also be
surprised if we did not continue to use the ZODB as our primary
persistence tool (among others, already including the file system and
RDBMSs) in the future.

> I just wonder how someone who isn't already "in the know" and on
> this list would hope to keep up with all these twists and turns.
> That is - I wonder how those who have deployed on Zope 3 deal with
> them.

We run regular automated tests.  We ideally make sure that the
changes are ones we agree with or ones we can opt out of.

Gary