[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 web root

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Feb 13 17:36:54 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:51:34 -0000, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
wrote:

> Scripts and RBDMS are the fast food of the web development world, not
> the salad. Looks nice, tastes great, eventually leaves you fat and
> unhealthy. ZODB and maybe an ORM is the greens for me, it might not be
> to everyone's taste at first, but it's the best option in the long run...

I think that's certainly true for content-centric applications, which is
what people seem to build the most of in Zope. But if you were storing 80
million records of numbers and short strings that you needed to query
across multiple dimensions, you'd probably put them in postgresql.

Zope 3 should really have a better story on SQL. Not replace the ZODB, but
show how in your code you best deal with an RDBMS. I think that should
leverage existing python APIs and ORM tools (I think there's a place for
both SQL-style queries and ORM, depending on how much you need "ad-hoc"
queries or at least complex, one-off representations of data, and how much
you need one logical view of your data), but there should be patterns and
integration layers (if needed) to show how to get data from an RDBMS into
a view, how to make an edit form for that data, and how to integrate that
with the rest of your probably content-centric application.

Martin

--
(muted)