[Zope3-dev] Re: Last chance to comment on Simplify skinning

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Feb 15 12:25:02 EST 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:39:02PM +0100, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> > Maybe I mean something different. I just want a folder in which I can
> > drop all the files I want to customize (I love to customize), without
> > registering something.
>
> That's not how it works in Zope 3, at least not right now and not by
> default. My proposal doesn't isn't addressing this.
>
> Shane has expressed an interesting idea that goes into the "I just drop
> my stuff in here" direction, but I'm frankly missing some important
> points in this idea yet. It might be interesting to develop it further,
> though. For now, however, we have to explicitly register everything. I
> consider that a good thing.

I think it's an important use case, though.

In CMF, annoying and limited as it was, installing a skin was a one-time
job.  Adding or removing resources in that skin was trivial.

> I think you don't care for the wrong reasons. You want your CMF
> experience duplicated. Perhaps you're not as bothered as I was with the
> CMF's limitations, but it sured annoyed me as hell having to create a
> new layer for every product I wrote for CMF.

Yes, I didn't like that either. Neither do I like the current system.
I have to explicitly register every one of my skin's 35 resources?
This is a significant burden.  I do that a lot more often than I create
new products.

I think what we're angling for is some way to register everything in a
certain directory as resources with one directive.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com