[Zope3-dev] Re: Last chance to comment on Simplify skinning

Jeff Shell eucci.group at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 23:22:49 EST 2006

On 2/15/06, Fred Drake <fdrake at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/15/06, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
> > Only that I have the same question Martijn does:
> > Can I then override one of those resources and keep the other 34?
>
> Perhaps the resourceDirectory directive should just be sugar for a set
> of resource directives, one for each file in the directory?  That
> would allow individual overrides, and maintain the convenience.

I would prefer not. We've used resourceDirectory to support things
like webcams. The image(s) uploaded by the cams might not always be
there, but the containing path is. It's nice not having Zope start
complaining on startup about making a resource for something that
doesn't exist, and allows us to open up select file system points for
resource uploads without having to know details about their contents.
(We don't use this heavily, but it has been a nice advantage).

If it was sugar for a set of resource directives, this could easily
fail out on us, unless it was making 'resource' items all the time
whenever the directory's contents changed.