[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 web root

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Feb 16 01:35:00 EST 2006

Jeff Shell wrote:
> Personally, I think that the ZODB is a terrific asset that has
> achieved a greater level of usability in Zope 3. At least, it has for
> us,  now that we're no longer confused about whether the ZODB should
> house our persistent objects, or if it should house our icons and
> scripts and code and the RDBMS should be the store. I wouldn't want to
> downplay this advantage.

No, we're still confused.  Templates and scripts are code.  Should they
be in ZODB?  Grrr, I hope not.  I don't want to suffer that pain, fssync
or no fssync.  I invented the CMF skins tool primarily to pull a lot of
templates and scripts out of ZODB.  I invented Ape to pull them *all*
out.  Now I'm having trouble convincing myself to use Zope 3 because the
problem has to be solved somehow yet again!

I first thought fssync might solve the problem, but now I feel like it
adds unnecessary complexity, similar to Ape.  External Editor is also a
good idea, but it exposes only a single file at a time.  The web root
idea is another possible solution.  I'm sure there are others (such as
an NFS view into ZODB, which I also did once!)  Let's keep thinking for now.

Shane