[Zope3-dev] zodb __parent__ and weakref

Shaun Cutts shaun at cuttshome.net
Thu Feb 16 21:11:45 EST 2006

One thing I haven't got my mind around yet:

I notice that zodb is fairly active about calling __getstate__ and
__setstate__.

When a container gets pickled to be put into zodb, what happens to the
subtree? Is it just left as a big "clump of stuff" for the garbage
collector to deal with? If so, maybe __parent__ should be a weakref,
because tracing around all of the cycles in the tree by the gc must
surely be inefficient, and using a weakref here should make the subtrees
"dissolve" more easily.

- Shaun