[Zope3-dev] Re: zcml abbreviations

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Feb 17 03:32:43 EST 2006

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:30:03 -0000, Shaun Cutts <shaun at cuttshome.net>
wrote:

> It seems to me that some of the tension around zcml arises because, on
> the one hand, everyone wants it to be as simple as possible, and on the
> other, too much simplicity of the language makes some things very
> tedious, which encourages "magic shortcuts" via new directives.
>
> To let out some of the steam, could zcml support a very simple
> "abbreviate" directive in over all namespaces?

I'm pretty sure this would mean that ZCML would no longer work as valid
XML (you can't validate when people invent their own tags on the fly),
which would be a shame. Feels a bit like embrace-and-extend, Microsoft
style :)

I'd rather we concentrated on the actual directives themselves, removed
the silly ones, provided decent defaults, maybe even keep some of the
shortcut directives if they are semantically and logically different in
the minds of the application developer form the primitives they extend.

Martin

--
(muted)