[Zope3-dev] Namespaces considered harmful [Was: tal:define="..." considered harmful?]

Stefan H. Holek stefan at epy.co.at
Fri Feb 17 06:16:58 EST 2006

My take is that it's not the TAL features (tal:define, python:,
whatever) that invite misuse, but the available namespaces.

I have ported ZPT to Django [1][2] and found the experience
surprisingly refreshing. Django naturally does not have anything like
"container" or "context" in the Zope sense. And by Django policy,
templates don't even get to see the "request". The namespace Zope PTs
call "options" becomes the sole, top-level namespace in Django PTs.

This very effectively keeps me from pulling-in anything not provided
by the view in the first place. Everything -- even functions I want
to call in, say, conditions -- has to be added by the view. The
result is clean and fast templates.

Stefan

[1] http://www.djangoproject.com
[2] http://zope.org/Members/shh/DjangoPageTemplates/1.0.2/readme.txt

--
Anything that happens, happens.  --Douglas Adams