[Zope3-dev] One namespace for ZCML

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Feb 17 07:38:41 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Yet again looking for comments, this time at:
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/OneNamespaceForZCML.

I assume that this proposal is dead.  I haven't read the whole thead,
but I think that was the gist. I notice that this proposal no longer
is listed on the proposals page.  It would be helpful if the proposal
status was also updated.

Some parting shots:

- We should not be trying to reinvent ZCML.  It's XML. If you
   don't like that, get over it.

- We do need a better high-level configuration system for doing the
   sorts of things that we use ZConfig for, and maybe some things we
   currently use ZConfig for.  But that's a different discussion that
   I'll get back to soon.

- We need to find the riht balence between ZCML and Python.  There
   are many places where we did too much in ZCML.  Everybody makes mistakes.
   That's how we learn. :)

- As a general rule, things should be defined in Python (or perhaps
   other definition languages) and *registered* in ZCML.  Certainly,
   "core" ZCML directives should be about reigistration/configuration
   not definition.

   An example of a non-python definition language is something like
   XMI, which might provide an alternative way to define schema
   via UML.

- BTW, I wouldn't object to having one "core" namespace.

- We need to recognize the concerns of different kinds of users.
   There will be users for which high-level directives will be beneficial,
   even when these high-level directives define as well as configure.
   I think these high-level directives will often be project specific.

   Then again, a better alternative might be to use high-level definition
   language like XMI.

   I really think the ArchGenX project has a lot to offer here. Does
   anyone know if it is still alive?

Please resist the temptation to respond to this post and drag out this
discussion further.