[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 web root

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Fri Feb 17 20:00:43 EST 2006

On Feb 17, 2006, at 6:45 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> User interfaces speak louder than books.  Start up Zope 3, log in
> as a manager, and look at the list of things you can add.  It includes
[...]
> File,
[...]
> .  I suggest that no one should be invited to create these kinds of
> objects in ZODB; it's a road to misery.  We need rip them out and
> develop another way to fulfill the use cases they represent.

To each his own, I suppose, but I'm surprised you included File in
the rant-list.  Lots of non-web-design uses want that.  We've had our
problems with big blobs, but they should be addressed, and in the
core, and files should be probably included either in the core or as
a well-maintained, highly-used, shared addition.

As to the rest, while I think I understand at least a good chunk of
the genesis of your statement, I'm glad that the component system
*will* allow others to explore ZODB-based TTW dev as an add-on, as
you suggested in a later message.  You meant it in a derogatory
sense, but one could argue that ZODB-based TTW dev got to be so
problematic *because* it was so successful.  There are strengths there.

That said, I'm eager to see what you might think up as an
alternative: I think both paths might be fruitful.

Gary