[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 web root

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 18:25:01 EST 2006

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Let me focus the discussion: I think it's nearly always a bad idea for
> anyone, newbie or expert, to put a template or script in ZODB.  Do we
> have any agreement on that point?  I wish we did.  I enjoy ZODB for many
> purposes, but not for storing templates and scripts.

Sorry, I gotta wave my hand here... a lot of my development, especially
for small projects, is scripts and templates developed via WebDAV and
stored in the ZODB. I find the undo facility, and the history compare,
invaluable for this...

> At one extreme, ZClasses tested the hypothesis that everything,
> including code, belongs in ZODB.  I think experience has proven that
> hypothesis wrong.

Nah, I just think ZClasses sucked in implementation and support...

> The persistent code idea in Zope 3 tries to give
> ZClasses a new birth, but it seems to have turned out even more
> complicated than ZClasses.

I think Google have proved that complicated!=bad, provided the right
interface is there...

> A good practice when developing with ZODB is to zap and re-create the
> object database regularly.

Who says there only has to be one?

cheers,

Chris