[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 web root

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Sat Feb 18 18:56:58 EST 2006

Wade Leftwich wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> [snip]
>

>>Yes, that's a valid point.  I also stopped myself from listing folders,
>>since a folder is a general organizational tool.  Let's just talk about
>>templates and scripts.
>>

> [snip]
>
> I think I've got a decent use case for templates in the ZODB, but I
> could be wrong. I work for a large publishing company, and typically one
> of our applications will get installed on 40 or 50 sites within the same
> Zope instance, differing only in cosmetic ways. It seems like the
> logical thing to do here is to treat the templates as data and let them
> be edited TTW, limiting the coding level to 'presentation  only'.

That can work, but be aware of the customers who customize more than you
expect.  They'll push the limits of the templates, and some of them
might push so hard that they wind up creating a whole new framework
based on your template API.  You'll have to help them migrate their
templates to new versions of your software, you'll have to put their
templates under version control, you'll have to test new versions of
your system with their templates, etc.

I saw this pattern emerge several times at Zope Corporation, and I don't
think it's specific to Zope 2.  Maybe you can design a system that
exposes a perfect, unchanging API to templates, but I'm pretty sure I can't.

Shane