[Zope3-dev] Brainstorming about browser pages

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 14:13:33 EST 2006

On 2/19/06, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
> Ah, ok. Well, I'm not 100% sure myself, but I would tend to say we
> should define things in Python first and then register it (Jim seems to
> think so too).

I agree. I just see naming it as a part of the registration. You can
change the name withouth changing the implementation. Not always, but
most of the time the name of a page is completely independent from
everything else except the menu item definition.

> For example, has anyone had people, who don't know or can't handle
> Python AT ALL, hook up page templates?

Nope. Although I would definitely like easy overrides. But then again,
I could do that by using the class that already is there and just
override the "something.html" template, I guess.

> So, all in all, the boiler-plate isn't useless. It's just declarative,
> and I don't think it's overly wordy.

Right. As with much, is a matter of where to draw lines, maybe thats
the right place to draw it

As a sidenote on the MVC discussion:

I have discussed MVC with a friend an how it maps onto Zope3, and I
have looked more closely as MVC lately, and to be honest, I think it's
bunk and can be happily ignored, at least when it comes to normal
HTML/HTTP stuff (maybe, just maybe, it can have applications for Ajax.
Maybe). But if you should map it into Zope3, then I'd say that the
view is the method you call that returns HTML, and the controller is
the "update" method. It's mainly bunk becase you have to call the
controller method for every request to see if anything happened...

And although I think MVC is bunk, I'd like a better way of calling the
"update" method than tal:define="dummy view/update" or making small
python wrapper methods for every template. Any ideas?