[Zope3-dev] Putting pullparser and clientform where they belong (reverting 39890)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jan 3 10:51:04 EST 2006

Brian Sutherland wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 07:13:16AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>Why wait until we are close to the release?
>

> Because I only realized it was causing a headache for me yesterday.

I greatly appreciate your working on Debian packaging.  I encourage
you to take time-based releases into account when doing this.  You should
try to create Debian based on each of our beta releases, so you don't find out
late that there is a problem.

 >>I am willing to consider a 3.2.1 release for this *after* the final.
 >

 > That would also be fine.

OK, if you want to proceed with this, then we'll do that.

>>Why do you think you need to do this?
>

> It is related to the debian packaging of zope 3. It is common practice
> with these packages to remove modules that can be provided by other
> debian packages. So far this has been the case only with pytz and docutils.

I'm guessing that this is an issue because you install
Zope's into site-packages and you don't want a Zope installed
package to clobber a package that is separately packaged. Is that right?

The normal way to install Zope is in it's own directory.  In this case,
a package supplied with Zope only affects Zope.  In which case, I don't
see the need to rip it out.  In fact, I would prefer that Zope use the
versions of packages that came with it, since these are the versions
it has been tested with. OTOH, if you create a distribution that omits
packages that are provided separately, you are taking on responsibility for
assuring that the installed Zope works properly.  I can understand why you
would want to do this.

> The relevant code in the debian rules file is (yes, I know it is nasty,
> but there doesn't seem to be a "right way"):
>
>     zbase    = Zope-3.2.0b2
>
>     <snip>
>
>     unpack: unpack-stamp
>     unpack-stamp:
>             tar xfz $(zbase).tgz
>             mv $(zbase) z
>             # Remove docutils and pytz modules packaged in separate packages
>             rm -rf z/Dependencies/docutils*
>             rm -rf z/Dependencies/pytz*
>
> I also need to do the same with mechanize and it's dependencies. Since
> the latest version of mechanize depends on pullparser 0.0.7, I also need
> to remove pullparser. This is more difficult with the way pullparser
> is tied into zope today.

Pullparser is currently distributed within the zope.testbrowser package.
It can't interfere with anything else. I suppose you just want to eliminate
the duplication.