[Zope3-dev] Putting pullparser and clientform where they belong (reverting 39890)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jan 10 10:10:52 EST 2006

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Jim Fulton wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> I'm guessing that this is an issue because you install
>> Zope's into site-packages and you don't want a Zope installed
>> package to clobber a package that is separately packaged. Is that right?
>>
>> The normal way to install Zope is in it's own directory.  In this case,
>> a package supplied with Zope only affects Zope.  In which case, I don't
>> see the need to rip it out.
>

> While it's true that this is normal for you and me, I think the cause of
> "zope is just a library" is much helped if we *also* consider it normal
> for Zope to be installed into site-packages.

I'm not convinced that Zope is "just a library".  Certainly,
the zope package is just a library, but I don't think that
the app server is.

> So, I just want to point out that your statement of what is normal
> doesn't imply that we consider installation with `configure` without
> '--prefix' as *abnormal* and that this is something we should support.

Jim tries to figure out this triple negative ... :)

On Linux, configure with without --prefix does *not* install Zope into
site-packages.  It creates a top-level directory for Zope in /usr/local.

Furthermore, we do install Zope into site-packages on Windows and this
(convenient for us) decision hasn't exactly been popular.

So, I reiterate that we should distinguish between releases of Zope
packages and releases of the application server.  I'm pretty convinced
that the app server is *not* a library and shouldn't be treated as such.