[Zope3-dev] Re: Putting pullparser and clientform where they belong (reverting 39890)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jan 10 11:27:18 EST 2006

Derrick Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:10:52AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> | Martijn Faassen wrote:
> | >Jim Fulton wrote:
> [...]
> | >
> | >While it's true that this is normal for you and me, I think the cause of
> | >"zope is just a library" is much helped if we *also* consider it normal
> | >for Zope to be installed into site-packages.
> |
> | I'm not convinced that Zope is "just a library".  Certainly,
> | the zope package is just a library, but I don't think that
> | the app server is.
> [...]
> | So, I reiterate that we should distinguish between releases of Zope
> | packages and releases of the application server.  I'm pretty convinced
> | that the app server is *not* a library and shouldn't be treated as such.
>
> Hmm.  What about this notion:  the app server is a library, and the
> zope instance is the application.

That's what we are discussing.  I think experience has shown that the
app server should not be treated as just a library.

BTW, wrt versions, it seems to be a common practice to treat different
versions as separate packages.  For example, on my Ubuntu system,
Berkeley DB 4.2 and 4.3 are treated as separate (sets of) packages.

I'll also note that:

- I don't think there is a single right answer.  I wouldn't object to
   people making "app server as library" distributions as long as
   there can also be "app server as application" distributions.

- I think we need to reevaluate all of this, in light of
   things like Eggs and maybe Paste Deploy, in the next release
   cycle, which will also be affected by the establishment
   of the Zope Foundation and projects within it.

I'm hoping that there can be some useful high-bandwidth brainstorming
on these topics at PyCon 2006.