[Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: Zope 3 startup message

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Thu Jan 19 20:38:21 EST 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:48:42 -0800, Marius Gedminas <mgedmin at b4net.lt>
wrote:

> This is what Zope 3 prints on startup:
>
>   2006-01-19 00:47:32,059 zope.server.http (HTTP) started.
>           Hostname: pitonas
>           Port: 8080
>
> This is what Roundup prints on startup:
>
>   Server running - connect to:
>       http://localhost:8917/demo/

Another related fix that probably applies to both Zope 2 and Zope 3
(although I'm not sure about the latter) - this gets printed at the
*beginning* of the output from the process, which means that it quickly
scrolls out of view if there are any messages from the server process at
all (which there always are, at least on Zope 2).

Instead of printing:

"2006-01-17 14:59:09 INFO Zope Ready to handle requests"

at the end, could we have something like:

"2006-01-17 14:59:09 INFO Zope Ready to handle requests on the following
ports:"

and then a list of the ports it is running on? One of the classic newbie
gotchas (especially on Linux or other platforms not using the Plone
installer) is "Oh, it's running - but where? How do I connect to it?".

Zope tells you where to connect, but way too early in the output.