[Zope3-dev] ZCML bad ;-)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 13:45:11 EST 2006

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>

>> One issue though is that I want to replace ZConfig with a ZConfig
>> format for zcml. (This would include making ZCML extensible to accept
>> any other format.) The user experience would be the same, but
>> extending it would be a lot easier than extensing ZConfig.  I plan to
>> make a proposal for this in the next few days.
>
> Running ahead of your proposal, I wonder whether you mean using
> ZConfig's syntax to replace ZCML's syntax, or replace ZConfig's syntax
> with ZCML syntax. Both are fundamentally different approaches, but I can
> read either in what you say here. :)

FWIW, I still hate ZCML for the following reasons:

- the tags never have any content, that's a sign xml is the wrong solution

- if anyone has or does rebind xml namespaces, it causes confusion.
having to include the namespace definitions at the top of each file is
dead chicken most of the time.

- personally, I just find it hard to read..

I'd really like to see everything done in zope.conf-style format, I
think this would work for all ZCML's use cases, we could even extend
ZConfig to support "namespaces", what do people think?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk