[Zope3-dev] Re: Notifications not appearing on zope3-checkins

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jan 21 07:32:50 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>After I checked in code into the Zope 3 repository this week, I never
>>saw corresponding notifications posted to the zope3-checkins mailing
>>list.  I don't think I saw notifications for my checkins during 2005,
>>either.
>>
>>Note that notifications have a "from" header matching the email address
>>of the person checking in.  My wild guess is that:
>>
>>1. The zope3-checkins list disallows posts from people not subscribed to
>>the list.
>

> Correct. It actually discards the messages, I think. Perhaps it should
> just reject them.

It does neither.

It is currently holding mail for approval.  I just approved a number of
held messages.

The rules are a bit more detailed.  I don't wish to go into more
detail in public,  You can contact me privately if you have questions.

>>2. Subversion thinks my address is still shane at zope.com, but that
>>address no longer exists.
>

> Subversion will take whichever email address you gave for your zope.org
> account.

Yup

>>If I'm right, the list is rejecting posts from anyone who doesn't happen
>>to be subscribed.  My suggestion is that checkin notifications should
>>have a generic "from" header like "svn at zope.org".  Some other header can
>>have the email address of the person checking in.
>

> I strongly suggest that the Reply-To header would have the email of the
> original person in this case. Because then it'll still be easy to simply
> hit the "reply" button for check-in emails.

I strongly prefer what we're doing now wrt headers.

I'm 99% sure that we are not rejecting any checkin mail.