[Zope3-dev] RFC: ZConfig and other formats for ZCML

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Jan 23 12:37:05 EST 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]

> Huh?  Geez, my proposal must have been really unclear. I'm not proposing
> replacing ZCML files with ZConfig files. I'm proposing leveraging the ZCML
> engine and especially the system for extensibility for handling ZConfig
> files

Yeah, I read some of the thread, which seemed to discuss a similar
misrepresentation. As a result I completely misinterpreted the original
proposal. It's indeed somewhat unclear, I'm afraid. Rereading it I think
I understand better. Ignore my later mails, sorry. It's a good argument
for sticking with ZCML for now, but it's not needed. :)

So, you're not proposing reformulating ZCML as ZConfig, but you're
proposing:

* implementing ZConfig on top of the ZCML engine

* thus gaining ZCML's extensibility mechanism in ZConfig

* as a potential side effect gain the ability to experiment with ZConfig
as an alternative for existing component configuring ZCML.

Is that correct?

I think the misunderstanding is that you use 'ZCML' in your proposal as
the engine. When you say 'ZCML', I initially think 'language', not its
implementation. ZConfig for ZCML implies to me using ZConfig's syntax
instead of ZCML.

Regards,

Martijn