[Zope3-dev] Re: RFC: ZConfig and other formats for ZCML

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Tue Jan 24 04:07:37 EST 2006

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 23. Januar 2006 15:22:27 -0500 Andrew Sawyers <andrew at sawdog.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 18:51 +0100, Andreas Jung wrote:
>>
>>> This separation is artificial. I've never seen a single Zope
>>> installation  where a system administrator had to care about Zope
>>> configuration issue.  There was always a Zope developer in charge to
>>> deal with configuration  issues.
>>
>> Those of us developers who have been in this case might not like that to
>> always be the case.  :)  I'd like to live in a perfect World also.....
>>

> Depends on the ratio developers : sysadmins. If it is 50:50 them the
> separation is ok. IMO it is 80:20 :-) But that's only my personal estimate.
>
> -aj

For us working in large organisations (and here I am bluntly assuming
that using Zope in large organisations is OK, if you guys don't mind)
then this kind of statment makes no sense.

Sure, perhaps you guys never have experienced a situation where there
are 2-4 developers and 10-12 sysadmins, however that does not mean that
your own (in this sense "limited") personal experience constitutes some
kind of universal truth.

In large organisations where deployment is actually a big deal, then the
developers are far fewer than the sysadmins, and there are logistical
and resource problems atteched to forcing the developers become an
essential part of the on-going sysadmining tasks.

Developers are a scarse resource and need to be foucused oin developing
things. Sysadmins need to allowed to have a low entry barrier to Zope
system administration.

My humble 0.02 €

/dario

Lyrics applied to programming & application design:
"emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - redemption song, b. marley