[Zope3-dev] Re: Correction to RFC

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 06:39:47 EST 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
>> The number of times the traceback screen dumped by an end user and
>> mailed to me in a word doc has significantly aided fixing a hard to
>> reproduce error is not insignificant...
>
> I would never want an end user to see a traceback.  And I don't
> have a customer who would.

So we have different customers, I'm glad this is pluggable ;-)

> Tracebacks can be logged.  You could
> set up a logger that emailed all error log events to you, so
> you could see the error without your user seeing it.

I did write MailingLogger, remember ;-)
(which I want to re-write as a python module at some stage...)

Personally, I like to have the screenshot so I can easily tie up the
error with the log entry...

>> ...mindyou, I still wish Zope 3 had an easier concept of a
>> customsiable standard_error_message, but maybe I'm missing something :-S
>
> Yes you are.  In Zope 3, you can define an error view per error
> type, including a default view for Exception. This is wildly more
> flexible and easier to manage than in Zope 2.

Cool :-)

How would I register one view for exceptions X,Y,Z and then another for
all other exceptions?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk