[Zope3-dev] The bug fixing problem

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Fri Jul 7 07:40:13 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> I think we need to be more draconian about quality.  Because
> we are late for this release, we will need to take the usual shortcuts,
> however, if we find missing tests, we should report them as non-critical
> bugs.  In addition, we should disallow any new features that would
> affect a release until all outstanding bugs, including missing tests
> have been resolved.

I agree on that. Quality is why we fix the bugs in first place, isn't it? :)

> Finally, I'll note that, IMO, Zope is too big.  This refers to both Zope 2
> and Zope 3.  We have too many batteries included and they are starting
> to leak acid because they aren't being properly maintained. :)  I'm
> very hopeful that we can move to a more agile package-based release
> system in the coming months.

Right. I agree on that. Especially on the idea to distribute the
maintainership amongs more people so that taking over responsibility for
an individual package does not become too much of a burden for the
individual.

This also goes along the ZF effort to communicate about the reusability
of Zope 3's packages.

> I would actually love to see a distribution-oriented sprint early this
> fall to look at:
>
> 1. How to better leverage eggs in managing and making distributions
>
> 2. How to improve the user experience for installing distributions,
>     especially for Zope 3.
>
> 3. Get rid of zpkg. :)
>
> 4. Find a better way to manage the distribution process.
>     My hope is that distributions become more about assembling
>     packages, much like linux distributions.  My thought is that core
>     developers would no-longer be responsible for making distributions.
>    There might even be alternate distributions aimed at different
>    audiences.

This sounds good and is very interesting for me. The DZUG has a meeting
on 14th and 15th of September. We could organize a sprint around that
easily.

Christian