[Zope3-dev] Re: The bug fixing problem

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jul 7 09:43:02 EDT 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 7:52 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> I disagree. How would you make sure that your fix for even a
>>> "trivial"
>>> NameError actually works? Perhaps you introduced another typo in the
>>> bugfix? Or perhaps another problem pops up in the same codepath.
>>> Clearly, since the NameError didn't occur in any other tests, the
>>> codepath hasn't been tested yet, so it should be no matter what.
>>>
>>> There's another aspect to tests for bugs: reproduceability.
>>> Especially
>>> when fixing bugs I tend to write tests first in order to be
>>> absolutely
>>> sure that I can reproduce the problem in an automated manner. Then
>>> fixing the bug is "easy": Just make the test pass...
>> Well said. I agree 100%
>
> Just to make sure nobody got me wrong: I'm not arguing that tests
> are a bad thing. They belong to the best thing that came up in the
> last years. :)
>
> I was merely pointing to a small edge-case in bugfixing, that might
> be even smaller then anticipated, where I got frustrated in the
> last time.
>
> +1 for the tests-are-good-recap :)

And just to make sure that I was clear, when trying to urgently go
through
bugs for a release, I think it's OK to provide a test for just the fix.

If, in the course of a fix, you notice that a package is short of tests,
it would be great to add more then, but it would be OK to just turn that
lack of tests into a separate non-urgent bug entry.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org