[Zope3-dev] The bug fixing problem

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jul 7 10:03:35 EDT 2006

On Jul 7, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Julien Anguenot wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 2006, at 5:46 AM, Christian Theune wrote:
>>> I'm sitting at EuroPython right now, and a small discussion came up,
>>> trying to find out why nobody seems motivated to fix bugs came up.
>>>
>>> Martijn Fassen noted that the tools we use should be better (I agree
>>> on that, especially making it easy to find which bugs need to be
>>> urgently fixed for the next release). Obviously that isn't a pure
>>> problem on it's own.
>>
>> There are certainly many problems with the current bug trackers,
>> which were written several years ago.  Finding out quickly which bugs
>> need to be fixed for the next release isn't one of them. (Although
>> discovering how to do this isn't obvious and could be trivially
>> improved
>> through configuration.)
>
> I tried to raise the discussion last year about this topic :
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2005-May/014588.html
>
> ... but didn't go far.
> I believe the bug tracker is certainly the most important tool for a
> project like Zope3.

I wasn't suggesting that we couldn't use a better bug tracker.
I was just saying that it's not hard to find out what bugs need
to be fixed for the next release.

> Nowadays, to know what bugs need to big fixed I need to :
>
>  - Consult a TODO.txt file within the trunk ....
>    (like in the good old days...) And hope nobody forgot any bug.
>
>  - Then go the issue tracker to get the description and possible
> comments.

No. you just go to the collector and search for accepted or
pending bugs or bugs with solutions. That's it.  If we are focussed on
a release, you should further limit this to critical items.  All of this
is easy to do with the existing UI.

> It's painful but as a commiter I could do it. Now imagine someone that
> would like to participate outside of the Zope community.
>
> It means basically that we are dealing with the Zope3 *releases* using
> text files... Bug trackers such as Trac, Bugzilla, Mantis or the
> really
> best one Jira are doing that properly for you using milestone or
> releases.

No. they use the collector.  The to-do file was checked in by
accident. :(

> So finding bugs that need to be fixed can be done easily but finding
> bugs that need to be fixed *for* a given release is another story.

No. Bugs that need to be fixed for the next release are marked critical.
As I mentioned, this can and probably should be improved.

Snipping further collector complaints.  The bug fiing problem is
*not* a tool issue.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org