[Zope3-dev] ZODB with Blob support

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sun Jul 23 04:56:37 EDT 2006

Hi,

Luis De la Parra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> has anyone tried the zodb with blob support in zope3 ?
> I just was wondering if there are any plans to support it in the (near)
> future.

There might be, as soon as we get it into the main line of ZODB. Chris
and I are working on this every now and then. Due to some feedback we
got recently, we'll integrate the blob branch into main ZODB in
approximately Mid-August.

> Today I changed the externals in my checkout to point to the blob-branch and
> replaced the stringio in zope.file with a blob object, and it really
> (almost) worked out of the box. The only things I had to do was to add some
> removeSecurityProxys in the upload/download views because I couldn't figure
> out how to make security declarations on the blob/file object, and replace
> the "size" attribute with a property to get the size from the blob object.
>
> the only thing that is still not working right now, is that deleting file
> objects in the zodb leaves the files in the blob directory lying around,
> and packing the database doesnt remove them either..

Humm. That's either a bug or a problem in the pattern of how to use
blobs. I'll try to look into it. Do you think you can check your changes
on Zope 3 into a branch so I can have a look at it? Alternatively I can
use a patch.

Christian