[Zope3-dev] selecting the translation domain in ZCML

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Jun 3 05:40:17 EDT 2006

Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote at 2006-5-30 22:13 +0200:
>Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> In my view the translation domain is vital for translators --
>> as the domain guides the correct translations.
>But it is the application that eventually sets the domain name to use,
>based on the context. Translators have no control over it, since they
>have no control over page templates or over python code.

You are right, of course: translators do not chose the domain
but are informed about it. However, this does not contradict
that the translation domain is specified in the ".po" file -- as
the translations in this file are only valid in the
translation domain for which they have been made...

>My view is that the translations can still be stored in different
>folders (one per translation context as you mentioned) and the domain
>can be set in ZCML during the configuration of the application for an
>entire folder, globally.

I do not disagree.

>Hence, the translators are only concerned with putting translations into
>folders ('business_terms', 'furniture', ...), no matter what the domain
>name will be called.

But why would you want a different domain name than that communicated
to the translators? Do you prefer meaningless over strong names?

--
Dieter