[Zope3-dev] Re: eggs in a Zope 3.3 instance

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jun 24 07:32:29 EDT 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 3:38 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> Concretely, what do you think about making lib/python in a Zope 3.3
>>> instance a site for now (calling site.addsitedir())?
>>
>> I think it's a bad idea, mainly because it's too late to make such a
>> change for 3.3. I tell you what I will do though, I'll promise, by
>> the end of EP, to have a buildout that lets you define Zope 3.3
>> instances with the eggs of your choice.
>
> That sounds very interesting. However, zc.buildout is clearly aimed at
> large deployment. A *simple* way of deploying eggs in instances would
> still be needed (*I* need it, in fact);

I'm confident that zc.buildout will serve simple cases well. The
zc.buildout project itself *is* an example of a simple buildout and I
think it is serving itself rather well. :)

> if not in Zope 3.3, then at
> least later. Currently you only have to drop package directories into
> INSTANCE/lib/python, something similar with eggs should also be
> possible.
> I frequently get lost between sys.path, sys.prefix, .pth files and the
> site.py module. The fact that a one line fix gets what we want seems
> simple enough to me. As said, I'm not the expert here, though :)

I doubt we are going to make our release target as it is.  I don't
think any feature change, especially one with such far reaching
ramifications is justified.

Adding a call to addsitedir won't accomplish your stated goal of
dropping eggs into lib/python and having them get used.  For
addsitedir to  have any impact, you have to also manage the .pth
files.  The fact that you "requently get lost between sys.path,
sys.prefix, .pth files and the site.py module" is not at all
surprising.  There is a lot
of magic there.  We certainly don't want to toss any of this in at
the last hour
(I wish) of a release.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org