[Zope3-dev] Re: eggs in a Zope 3.3 instance

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Jun 26 05:54:26 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]
> Adding a call to addsitedir won't accomplish your stated goal of
> dropping eggs into lib/python and having them get used.  For addsitedir
> to  have any impact, you have to also manage the .pth files.

I don't know what you mean here. I don't recall managing any .pth
files... If I add addsitedir to the right places, the eggs will be
picked up. I have a test egg for the Document Library here that pulls in
pyoai, lxml (dependency of pyoai), hurry.query, zc.catalog (dependency
of hurry.query), hurry.workflow, and hurry.file.

If I include the right ZCML in package-includes, Document Library works.

I hope to start using zc.table and its dependency (zc.resourcelibrary)
eventually as well. It's nice I can do this with just a tweak to the
Document Library's setup.py and a new ZCML include.

>  The fact
> that you "requently get lost between sys.path, sys.prefix, .pth files
> and the site.py module" is not at all surprising.  There is a lot
> of magic there.  We certainly don't want to toss any of this in at the
> last hour (I wish) of a release.

I'm just distributing a script that tosses this into any given Zope 3
instance now, so people can at least use this stuff in Zope 3.3. And
yes, there's too much magic going on, and I hope zc.buildout will make
life easier and less magic on the longer term.

Regards,

Martijn