[Zope3-dev] Re: SVN: Zope3/branches/3.3/ Fixed issue 525: DateWidget ru-format

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Jun 28 07:08:38 EDT 2006

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Christian Theune wrote:
>> I'm very much against "relaxed" date/time format checking. I tend to
>> give my user the exact format that is expected and fail otherwise. All
>> the guessing in the past led to bad bad errors because the field order
>> the user entered was syntactically compatible but had a semantically
>> different meaning.
>
> Shouldn't users use a nice dynamic widget to select dates and times?
> That will prevent all these problems.

Hell no. :)

It's much more efficient for a trained user to type '2005-08-08' instead
of having to click for 2 minutes through a "usable nice widget".

BTW: The best UI I ever worked with was an ASCII terminal-software where
one should select menu entries by typing their numbers. I could
blindfoldedly navigate through that system much faster than most of the
software I use today ...

Christian