[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: Two visions

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Mar 2 16:05:00 EST 2006

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:13:03 -0000, Rocky Burt
<rocky.burt at adaptivewave.com> wrote:

> 1) The Zope 3 name and brand is a marketing disaster (from my
> perspective) -- to be honest there's really no way I could see this
> actually getting worse by coming up with a new name.  How many times in
> the #plone channel do we get asked, "Does Plone run on Zope 3.1/3.2?"
> or, "When will Plone run on Zope 3.2" to which we say "no" to the first
> question and "dunno" to the second question.

Actually not as often as I'd feared, but that has more to do with the fact
that people don't know they're running on Zope and they don't really know
that Zope 3 exists and is in any way different from Zope 2.8 with some bug
fixes. Thus proving your point, I think. :)

> 2) Today when I build new applications with Plone, the best I can hope
> for is to use Zope 3 as a framework and Zope 2 as a deployment platform.
> Although the reality is I still use Zope 2 as a framework faaaar too
> much as well.  I'm hoping (expecting) that Five will continue to make
> the requirement to use Zope 2 as a framework diminish more and more.  As
> a developer, I certainly prefer working with Zope 3 "the framework" over
> Zope 2 "the framework".

+1 (and thanks for all your hard work in making this better)

>   1) rename zope 3 the framework as Z or zopelib or Zed or something
> sensical that doesn't confuse the early adopter's conquest of trying to
> figure out which zope to start with
>   2) Make zope 2 the application server acquire the name "zope" once
> again and be the only app server.  This could only work (from a new
> adopter's perspective) if either the application server is given a new
> name or given a version number higher than 3.

3) make Zope3-the-application-server have a different name too. It may not
make sense to use Zope2-the-app-server always, and eventually we'll
hopefully evolve the appserver parts of Zope2 to use Zope3 technologies
(the different configurations, same application idea, but we're some way
off that). But in the meantime (a loong meantime) there's zope2 and zope3
appservers that serve different purposes and have different strenghts and
weaknesses.

> Who are we worried aboug confusing here? Existing Zope 3 developers?
> Zope 2 developers?  I don't think so, those people are smart enough to
> figure it out.  So I say lets focus on not confusing new adopters in
> which case SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE CURRENT NAMING SITUATION!

+1

Martin

--
(muted)