[Zope3-dev] Re: visions, brands and roadmaps in the sand

Geoff Davis geoff at phds.org
Thu Mar 2 18:02:24 EST 2006

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:39:54 +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> Technology-wise:

[snip]

> This, as far as I can see, is compatible with 99% of the visions we
> have discussed here, and it will keep us busy for a year. :-)

I like your summary.  It sounds consistent with both Jim's proposed vision
#2 and what I think Martijn is advocating.  Perhaps we are witnessing a
state of violent agreement here on the list?

> Marketing-wise:
>
> I can see the point in separating out the non-webby parts of Zope3 to
> gear it towards people who don't want a big applictaion server. And,
> to be honest, if I did anything in python today, I'd want to use teh
> component architecture, even though what I do didn't touch the web.
> I'm not sure we want to name it Z but i'm not completely opposed
> either. But I prefer Zope Component Architecture.
>
> I am opposed to renaming Zope 3. It seems to me that the renaming of
> Zope3 is suggested for three reasons:

[snip]

> I think renaming will mean we loose a brand, and we make people
> confused, and we need to change a whole lot of code. :) It doesn't
> seem worth it.

I think that all of us would be well-served by a better differentiation
between Zope 2 and Zope 3.  Zope 3 is architecturally very different from
(and much better than) Zope 2.  However, I strongly agree that we should
not lose the "Zope" brand for Zope 3.  I do not think that anybody is
seriously advocating that, though perhaps (I am too lazy to google) some
people may be suggesting that perhaps an augmented / qualified name would
help differentiate the two ("Zope 3: Now with real fruit flavor!" / "Zope
3: The Ninjatasticator!").  I don't feel particularly strongly about the
issue.

I _do_ think that it would be a good idea calling the stripped down
non-app-server core of Zope 3 something other than "Zope".  As others have
pointed out, there has been a lot of time and effort invested in
connecting the word "Zope" to a (powerful, complicated, big) application
server.  Since Zed (or whatever) is not an app server, it should be called
something else.  Again, though, this is not something I really want to
argue about.

Geoff