[Zope3-dev] RFC: Use ConfigParser for High-Level Configuration

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Sun Mar 5 15:22:02 EST 2006

--On 5. März 2006 14:43:48 -0500 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

>  > There is no question that ZConfig has the
>> problems you described.  But I consider such a flat representation as
>> poor and a step back
>> instead of a step forward (independent of the effort needed to simply
>> and refactor ZConfig).
>
> I agree, however, I think that there are other benefits of a move to
> ConfigParser that far outweigh this disadvantage.

Let's try to approach from the other side. We both agree at ZConfig sucks
at some point. We need something else. The "something else" should be
provide
a similar functionality as ZConfig:

  - some support for hierarchies

  - schema-based

  - validation

  - default values

  - local configurations, no global schema

In the first place such a framework would be independent of any input
format. A ZConfig-style parser or a .INI parser could use such a framework
to make configuration information available through a unique API. So the
basic "problem" of this whole issue is how such a framework would look
like, how a schema-definition would look like etc. Writing a parser that
adopts a particular input format to the abstract configuration framework is
at best an engineering challenge and the decision to use a ZConfig-style or
an INI-Style configuration file format as default is like a personal
preference for beer or wine (beer for the mass, wine for the power users
:-))

-aj