[Zope3-dev] Two visions

Jake jake at zopezone.com
Tue Mar 7 07:06:35 EST 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Chris McDonough wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Jake wrote:
>
>> I think it is a huge mistake to lose Zope branding. After years of
>> building up momentum behind a project, to head off into some
>> strange developer code speak is just going to lose people who are
>> not intimately involved.
>>
>> The world, after many  years, gets versions. Stick to it.
>>
>> Works:
>> Mac OS9 -> Mac OSX (10)
>>
>> Here was a mistake:
>> Mosaic -> Netscape -> Netscape Communicator -> Netscape Gold ->
>> Firebird -> Mozilla -> Firefox
>
> Considering Firefox has nearly 15% marketshare today, I'd call it a
> success.  It certainly could have been worse had Netscape not done
> the hail mary of releasing it under another name that wasn't
> conflated with its own brand (witness the takeup rate of Netscape
> 6/7).
>
> - C

Considering it is a product that was around for 15 years, spent tons
on advertising (which I helped pay for) and has a global, geek
appeal, I think it was a slight success.

Since we don't know how much better off it would have been  by
keeping one of the other 5 names it had, which actually had brand
recognition, we will never know.

Jake

http://www.ZopeZone.com
"Zoping for the rest of us"