[Zope3-dev] Mandatory Viewing!

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Mar 7 14:08:57 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:27:48AM -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Part of the problem is that Zope 3 makes too great a distinction between
> developers and scripters.  Successful scripters become developers, and
> developers often act as scripters.

+1. The distinction is arbitrary and fluid.

> I think the use cases need to see
> scripters and developers as the same people.  The other Python web
> frameworks seem to be oriented this way and they've had a lot of success.

Yes. Whatever we do with "scripting" in zope 3, I want it to look
as much as possible like vanilla python code on the filesystem.
This is why IMO scripts in zope 2 are such an evolutionary
dead end:

- magic global bindings.
- the "print ; return printed" idiom.
- restricted imports.

All of those create "stop energy" when you want to refactor
some code between a script and product code. The first two
teach newbies to rely on features that do not exist anywhere
else in the python world, which I think was a bad design mistake.

btw, I must note that TTW != scripting.  Scripting does not mandate
working through the web, and using a browser as (part of) your
environment does not necessarily imply "scripting".

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com