[Zope3-dev] Reducing the Amount of ZCML Directives ready for review

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Mar 17 03:56:54 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my work on http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ReducingTheAmountOfZCMLDirectives
> has been nearly completed on the philikon-reduce-zcml branch and is
> ready for review.
>
> What I didn't cover:
>
> * rdb:provideConnection wasn't removed. On a second thought, this
> directive also contains deployment information relevant to the system
> administrator (the DSN) that should not reside in Python code.

I can see this would be hard to remove. Note that I don't think RDB
deployment information should be in ZCML either, though.

> * dav:provideInterface wasn't removed. Michael Kerrin's work on DAV is
> also calling for its removal so this is left for him to remove.
>
> * class/implements and class/factory weren't removed -- yet. I guess
> removing these might be a bit controversial. I'd therefore like to take
> this opportunity to bring this topic up again and to give everyone a
> chance to look at the proposal once again, before I start spending lots
> of time on the implementation.

I'm okay with this moving to top-level, though a depreciation period
might be in order, as this, I think, is in common use.

> If no one objects to the branch as it is, I will merge it on the weekend.

Before this merge goes through, I would propose the following steps:

Take the document and edit it so it's a clear guide for what you should
do with broken directives. I.e. for browser:localUtility we want to
exactly specify what needs to be done to register this with the
normal content directive.

After that, this document needs to be checked in under the
doc directory.

Finally, there needs to be a clear pointer in at least the changelog as
well as the release notes to this document.

Regards,

Martijn